Kakatiya Medical College was founded in 1959 by the Warangal Regional Medical Education society with the active support of the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, the Director of Medical Services of A.P. and the Warangal District Collector to provide medical education for register of the Telangana region of the state.
The College was inaugurated on 23 July 1959 by the Honourable Sri P. Karmarkar, Minister of Health, Government of India. It was originally located in a building donated by the Pingale family at Waddepally and it moved into the make-shift buildings constructed at the permanent site in November 1961.
152.17 acres (0.6158 km2) of land was acquired for the medical college in Warangal and the permanent building of the college was constructed at an estimated cost of about Rs. 47 lakhs. Mrs. Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, inaugurated the permanent campus in 1966.